Prepare yourselves, we are in Kapha season! This is when the atmosphere is saturated with the elements of Earth and Water. Even here in the dry desert of Sedona we have cool and wet weather. This is the energy that allows the plants to fill up with prana before they burst forth in late Spring.
The qualities of this season are:
- heavy ( imbalancing tendency: don't want to do yoga, or movement at all, how about sleep??)
- moist (mucous anyone?)
- stable (even stuck, think earth+water = mud)
- cold and cool
- flowing (think circulation increasing)
- dry (less oils and fats in diet)
Ideal foods for Spring are as follows:
- dry fruits
- alfalfa sprouts
- bean sprouts
- brussel sprouts
- chilies (with care if you are Pitta, can cause aggravation)
- collard greens
- dandelion greens
- green beans
- mustard greens
- honey (if doing sweet, this is best, BUT NOT COOKED!)
- ghee in small amounts
- black pepper
Spring is the best season for detoxification, gently and with care. Here are a few simple things you can do at home for detox this season:
- Warm oil self massage; treat yourself to this amazing ritual which aids in loosening toxins deep within the body, loosening them and bringing them to the digestive tract to be eliminated. Use Kapha Oil, buy kapha oil here, and start with the feet and ankles, circular motions on the joints and straight up and down on the limbs. Massage all the way to your head, ending with a nice head massage. Stay warm for 10 minutes allowing oil to penetrate. Follow with warm bath or shower, do not soap off the oil.
- Dry body Brushing; this stimulates circulation and increases lymph system which in turn boosts your immune system
- Light meals for 3-7 days, oats and peeled apples in the morning with whole clove, powdered cinnamon and cardamon, split mung and barley kitchari (click here for: kitchari recipe) for lunch and vegetable soup for dinner. Avoid sugar, caffeine, dairy (except ghee) leftovers and processed foods. Herbal teas such as ginger and peppermint are great.
- Detoxification formula: Triphala, three fruits of amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki, is a formula that you can take to assist you in regulating and aiding in regular bowel movements, which is key to remove the toxins we have loosened and brought to the intestinal tract in the above processes. buy Triphala here. 1/2 tsp in warm water before bed
Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation to go further with your wellness!